Wednesday 1 May 2019

the end is the beginning

I've reached the end of my sketchbook.  The one I started on 15th January 2016.  I've shared many of its pages with you here.  The end pages are covered with streaks of colour, tests of pens and pencils and combinations of the two.  There are swatches taped in - tracking all the varieties of brown pen and pencil that I have.  These will be lifted out into the new book, the next book.  There is a small pile of loose scraps of paper, ideas that may or may not see the light of day.  This book will soon join the two others on my shelf.  An indispensable record of my tangle journey, a limitless feast I can dip into whenever I feel hungry for a forgotten tangle to nibble on.

But before it retires, time to share the last pages.  This is the place where the raw materials are laid down, chopped and measured.  Tasted and tried, and sometimes discarded as being not yet ripe.  Some however are mixed together and presented as done on the tiles I've shared over recent month.  (Links in my comments to tie the raw and the finished together.)

Points of interest - I was in the grip of my winter tangling phase,
lots of stark, sharp tangles, lots of black and white.
A couple of Padros tangle ideas - Fortuna and his Shnek spirals.
New tangles - Edie, which I love and Bertee which I want to use more.
Trying different things with my Miff tangle.
The first appearance of Marguerite Samama's Heart Fragment which featured
often in my Valentangle Extravaganza.

Points of interest - signs of colour creeping in, my spring tangling begins.
Lots of floral and leafy tangles - due to the Botani-tangles I was working on.
First attempts at HaWy - a tangle that is tough to draw, but well worth it.
Intriguing tangles I'd like to use more - Irka and RA-ON.

Points of interest - practicing the wonderfully womanly Sassanian.
Working with Well, Well, Well and Well, Well, Who for the first time.
Having a play with Zentangle HQ's Dingsplatz - pure fun!
Linda at Time for Tangling regularly posts tangles that are new to me -
including the enchanting one in the box below Well, Well, Well - it's called U-2.
Points of interest - a busy page, yet much of this has not yet seen the light.
Margaret Bremner's Double Double is a great tangle - that celtic look with less stress.
Bosch is a tangle with so much potential - it's bound to become a favourite.
Loxo has a delicious lightness and Lynn Mead's Blixty adds weight to the idea of Rixty.
Canomo is easier to tangle than you'd expect and has a lot of movement to it.
Points of interest - a blue pen joins the black as I work on the ideas
introduced in Zentangle's Project Pack 05 - which made it to my Easter break tiles.
A handful of exciting new tangles that are heading tilewards very soon
- BrixBox, Klomp and Lola.
TangleFlake, Savana and Yoga offer a handy hit of darkness while
Bekk and Spiro are beautifully loopy and mesmerising to tangle.

That's all for today, there's a blank page waiting patiently for me to join it!

10 comments:

  1. What wonderful musings! I like the way you say 'This is the place where the raw materials are laid down, chopped and measured. Tasted and tried,...'. Although unplanned, there is a satisfying harmony to be found in these last pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I'm glad you see harmony. When they are only partly completed they look quite messy, but then as I fill each little space, suddenly they seem to make sense. Which is a lot like filling a tile really isn't it!

      Delete
  2. Fascinating, and so personal - thank you for sharing your journal with us, Jem! ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvette. You're right, it does feel more personal than sharing finished pieces - but I've got over the initial shyness now... I think!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jem. I'm not having any luck finding "Yepsen" and I'd love to give it a try. It's in the top right corner of the first photo. Where did you find that pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Linda, but I can't find where I got it from. I've searched all of my usual sources with no luck. I guess I should have written down the source, but then the page gets so cluttered with text. If I find it again I'll be sure to let you know.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous work . . . a fabulous notebook to treasure.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn. Yes, and they are a useful resource too. Many times I look back and discover forgotten tangles than I can revisit.

      Delete
  5. Yepsen is a tangle by sandy hunter referenced by ALice Hendon on Jan 19 2019 http://alicehendon.com/2019/01/getting-sketchy-5/

    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your help Anon! I also asked around on Facebook and eventually found my way to the same answer. And to avoid the same problem I'm now writing the name of the tangler alongside the tangle!

      Delete