Thursday 14 March 2019

no sign of the three bears

This week I've found myself in a Goldilocks mood.  Nothing is quite right.  I've been preparing lots of backgrounds for the spring tangling ahead of me.  Inevitably this has meant using colours outside of my comfortable range - lots of yellow, pink and bright green.  I've been using different techniques to get the colour onto the tiles - a bit of hefty hack, some masking fluid, some stencilling.  Some of the tiles came out too pale, some horrifically bright.  Explosion in an 80's legwarmer warehouse bright!  I also worked on some dubious coloured paper and found it too smooth when using my pen, too rough when shading.  Whatever I tried I felt dissatisfied.

And then I heard myself advising a fellow tangler to work with what they'd got, learn to know and cherish their limitations and let go of the things that they found too difficult.  Time to apply the same to myself!  So later in the week, once dry, I cut up my newly coloured tiles - and they started to not look quite so bad.  You'll be seeing them here over the coming weeks!  And I continued working on the dubious paper.

This week's tangling was largely a matter of fortune and misfortune and the blurred line between the two.  I recently discovered that the usual album I store my finished tiles in has been discontinued.

My album of choice - I've filled two of these since I start tangling -
that's 576 tiles!

After endless research I discovered some sleeves that hold 3.5 inch tiles and have some ready to go into a large ring binder.  Seeing as I would be building my own album I thought it would be a good oppurtunity to source some sleeves to store my Zendala tiles - currently I just keep them in the tin.  I'm usually very precise when it comes to measurements, but I was so thrilled when I thought I'd found the perfect sleeves that I forgot to double check the size of the Zendala tile. When the sleeves arrived the tiles wouldn't fit! The openings are 4x4 inches and the Zendala a little larger. I then successfully bought some sleeves meant storing CDs which are perfect for my Zendala.
A happy home for my Zendala tiles -
these are the first three I ever tangled!

But I didn't want to waste the other sleeves as I loved the fact that they held two 4x4 spaces and four 2x2 spaces.

What fun, to have different sizes on the same page!
 
Around the same time I was clearing out some old paper scraps from when my only creative outlet was occasional card making. I found a virtually unused pack of textured card stock in a wild array of colours. One side was far too textured to tangle on, but the reverse look viable. I cut tiles to size in my current spring colours.

UK tangler Lucy Farran has created her own prompts for the month of March. Called Botani-tangles, she's focusing on broadening her use of organic tangles.  Her list is well chosen, with familiar and unfamiliar tangles, and a good variety of types of tangle, all still within the organic theme.
March prompts chosen by Lucy Farran - aka The Lucky Tangler

I set to work tangling on the two larger tiles, and then the little row of Bijou's down the side.

Not so mellow yellow - Hollyhock,
Sanibelle and new favourite Loblolly
 
The pen moved quickly across the paper, meaning I felt less control than I usually have. On the plus side the black stayed really intense. Shading was also challenging as the paper is both smooth but with a residual texture from the other side.

In the pink - with Icantoo, Eddyper (which never comes
out as I want it to) and the dark and desirable Dayzee-Mae

All in all it was a different experience than my usual familiar papers. But there's a lot to like about it. As a whole page spread it feels like a sampler of organic tangles. I've always toyed with the idea of building my own tangle directory, but always find the thought quite tedious. But I can imagine having pages like this where I would browse the way tangles interact with each other. A great way to choose tangles I might have forgotten, but also more pleasurable to tangle in the first place.  I've used most of the tangles for the first 15 days of Lucy's prompts, but not necessarily in the order she suggested.  But that's the beauty of tangling - we can do whatever we fancy with it, and if we get lucky we might even find a bowl of porridge that suits out tastes!

8 comments:

  1. I love this 😍 Your tiles and zendalas are all so rich and graphic. I was just sitting here at my usual cafe with my Trainwreck journal pondering a Diva-less week and the month of botanicals is exactly what this journal needs. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. I'm glad I offered something you needed! You're so good with organic tangles - can't wait to see what you do.

      Delete
  2. What is the discontinued album? I have one I don't use but can't get to the studio at the moment to check make after a blackout. You can have it if it's any use though.Loving the prompts, so useful to get one back on track. I've been a bit 'Goldilocks' over watercolour paper lately..with a touch of the Hulk, over it now and still love porridge (with 100% chocolate and chilli) Keep well and brilliantly arting my lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my dear. I'll message you about the album!

      Glad the Hulk has left you - I know it's warm over there but a shredded vest isn't the best look!

      I'm usually very monogamous about my watercolour paper, but I've been positively promiscuous of late!

      Delete
  3. Well I hope you find the other Goldilocks zone where something is JUST RIGHT! Congrats on sourcing suitable storage for your wonderful tiles. They deserve a good home. I usually give mine away on the front of cards! I don't own a single tangle I've ever drawn! (Well, except for the one I made in the first class I took recently.)

    I am currently using teabags to stain papers and will tangle over the top. Thanks for sharing the prompts . . . might give some a go!

    Enjoy your weekend.

    Hugs, Sarn
    Tangles and Dangles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you start to make at least a few tiles that you keep for yourself. It's nice to have a record of your journey if nothing else.

      I hope I get to see your tea tangling. I've done it a couple of times in the past and it's great fun. A scrunched teabag also prints a rose-like mark. See what I mean here - https://raggedray.blogspot.com/2014/07/fortune-favours-brave.html

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying reading about your paper explorations, my background is not in art, and I haven't really thought that much about what makes a good tangling paper (apart from the standard tiles) before, but I will be definitely paying more attention to it in the future. Glad you are enjoying the prompts, thanks for including them in your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy and thank you for the prompts, I'm loving them. And although I'm halfway through the month before I shared them I think a few other people might start using them too! I'm looking forward to seeing what prompts you work with for the rest of the year too!

      I have no art background either - but a lifelong love (borderline fetish!) with paper. The official tiles are wonderful, but they have a couple of drawbacks for me. Hence playing with others. I think all papers work at some level for tangling - often it's just about finding the right combination of pen, pencil, paper. Or the right approach - smooth blended shading or hatching with the pencil instead, or coloured pencil shading, or grey brush pen shading. The only thing I can't abide is when my pen gets clogged from certain paints. Ultimately I think finding a combination that works for you and feels most comfortable, so the materials almost disappear and leave you with nothing but the tangling experience is best. But also I can't resist a bit of experimentation too!

      Delete