Wednesday 24 April 2019

morning comes and morning goes with no regret

Great-great grandmother Selina -
not looking keen on being tangled!

Zentangle HQ recently released the latest Project Pack and the accompanying series of videos.  The theme this time is to tangle frames and borders around various keepsakes and treasures.  I have a fair few precious things tucked in safe places, and plenty of wonderful old photos of my family both near and distant, with copies of some going back to the 1800's.  But I just didn't feel the desire to connect those things with my tangling.  Which isn't to say I didn't like the techniques introduced in the videos!  I loved tangling along with the gang, in my sketchbook, and I knew that sooner or later I would find a way to use those frames in a way that made sense to me.  I often work that way - noting down an idea, to return to it sometime later, when it's mulched down and fermented into something a little different from how it started.  Sometimes that takes months, sometimes years, and sometimes it happens much sooner.

Over the long Easter weekend I found myself tangling those frames onto some tiles that I'd pre-coloured using Moss Green Brusho powder.  I've had these powders a few years but have struggled to develop proper affection for them.  They are either too pale or too intense.  But this one, this one worked just how I wanted it to.  And when it works it's wonderful - because you get to see little blooms of all the different colours that work together to make Moss Green.  Part science, part magic, pure wonder.

'Empty rooms that echo as I climb the stairs
And empty clothes that drape and fall on empty chairs'
Don McLean

In one of those little blots of pigment there is a very deep purple, and so I found the need to reach for my rarely used purple pen.  My black ink, graphite and hints of white chalk all took turns to bring these frames to the tile.  Each empty of any image - which feels just perfect to me.  I'm a person who finds charm in derelict places, abandoned spaces.  Hospitals and homes long vacated and left for nature to reclaim.  I see these frames hanging on damp and mossy walls.  Perhaps the frames once held photos, fading images of friends and lovers who've since moved on, departing on a spring breeze.

POSTSCRIPT - In this old post from 2016 I tried to use Brusho powders with less success, and I also attempted something involving empty frames.  It seems I'm contendedly regurgitating the same ideas, but at least they are improving a little each time!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post and beautiful tangling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the look of your frames. I personally love Brusho powder and now you've mentioned it . . . I'll have to get my set out and play!

    Hope you've had a lovely Easter.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn - I had a lovely restful Easter and enjoyed the sudden burst of warm weather!

      I do like the Brusho powders - I just don't feel confident with them yet. If you click on the Brusho tag below this post you can see other times I've used them and it's never turned out quite how I hope! But I'm getting better. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Jem, these are so gorgeous! Each and every one is a beauty by itself and the background color...well, the long wait has certainly paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. Yes, sometimes waiting is the key. I'm determined to try to keep working with those backgrounds until I feel more confident about consistent results!

      Delete
  4. I love these. Yes, I have that same relationship with my Brusho (or Color Burst - I don't remember which I have). You are making me think I need to give it another try and play with them. I also share your sentiment about this set of videos and you are inspiring me to use them in a different way. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. The way I've found works best for me with the powders is to lay down a light wash of the mixed powder, so the entire tile gets some base colour. Then do light dustings here and there onto the wet tile and watch the powder spread. If it is too darkly clumped I add touch of water to individual clumps to disperse them. I hope that makes sense!

      Delete