I'm always a little saddened when I hear that a Zentangle tile has 'gone wrong' for someone. That they've made a mistake, lost their way, or simply changed their mind about what they wanted it to be. Part of the pleasure for me is working through those stumbles and reconciling yourself with wherever you and your tile end up. Sometimes those 'wrong' tiles even end up torn into bits and buried in the bin. Which is even sadder!
It's not to say I'm immune to those difficult tile days. But one thing I never do is throw away a wayward tile. I'm naturally frugal for a start! What I do is tuck them in a little basket... for later. And thus my Leftovers Project was born!
This week, torn between too many choices and not enough time I decided to revisit old tiles instead of starting new ones.
First up this green tile that's been lurking on my pile for a good few years. I found it with the line work half done, on some rather hard to handle tinted watercolour paper that I rarely use now. The tangles were also ones I haven't used in a long time. One of the most interesting things in revisiting these old tiles is spotting the changes in my tangling, my skill, style and choices.
|Tangled with - Beadlines / Fleuri / Tipz / Pia / Stonestory|
To finish it off I completed the outstanding tangles. Then anchored the bands to the edges using more tangles. I added a touch of green coloured pencil and shaded. Who knows why I didn't like it then, but I do now.
Next up this autumnal looking arc. I presume I tangled this while trying to get to grips with Peaknuckle. Drawn over a band of watercolour, again it was abandoned at the line work stage.
|Just Peanuckle, plus a few curls and aura|
I added shading and highlighting with coloured pencil and graphite. It looks a lot happier to be finished, but it's lacking in contrast a bit. Sometimes a tile is set on a path by my past self and it's hard to change that direction.
And lastly there wast this. A strange looking tile, left at the line work stage, with only one corner blacked in. I blacked in two more corners and then grew tired of the effort! Which is perhaps why I abandoned the tile in the first place...
|Tangled with mutant Purk and Lollywimple filled with Jetties and Cruffle|
Rounding the remaining sections seemed a decent halfway measure to fully filling them in. I shaded and added tiny pops of the two colours I still had out from my other two tiles. Sometimes a little touch like that can really finish off a tile, and also pull three disparate pieces together into something close to cohesion.
There were also a couple of others I worked on, which still remain stubbornly unattractive and I can't see a way to redeem them at the moment. They have been returned to the basket, perhaps their day will come, even if it's not today! So, next time you go to throw away a tile, think again... who knows what it's one day destined to become!