Thursday 9 May 2019

vernal wanderings

As spring takes a firmer holder colours start to intensify - the soft hues that seeped in as winter departed are starting to hum with life, leaves almost glowing with the expectation of greater amounts warmth and light to come.  My tiles are becoming brighter too.  Green joined us a few weeks back - to sit aside the pink and yellow. 

As this season enjoys its annual renewal I turn my attention to a handful of recent new tangles - and one that has been around a while but is new to me.  Sometimes people feel overwhelmed by the constant flood of new tangles that appear week after week.  But remember - you can admire a tree without counting every leaf.  Some people feel underwhelmed by the new tangles they are seeing.  Perhaps they would be more content returning to something older and more familiar - the leaf that felt last autumn, the one they pick up and tucked inside the book beside their bed.  Never underestimate the return to tried and trusted tangles.

Maybe some people are in the middle, and that's where I think I am.  I don't try and use every new tangle that appears.  I browse those I see on my online travels and any that grab my interest I pop into my sketchbook.  Some of those make it to tiles - maybe straight away, maybe a long time later.  For me a tangle really comes to life when I work with it, not just look at it on a screen.  When I get to know it and change it a little, when I see how it plays with others.  When I see what I can do for it and what it can do for me. 

Over recent weeks these six tangles have been dominating my tangle time - click on the tangle name under each image to go to the step-outs.

'Eyebrows' - Sandy Hunter
not named as yet I saw this on her Tanglebucket Facebook page.
Akin to Zenith, she begins with the circles and then adds the
'eyebrows' on either side.  Rounding brings it to life.
A pleasure to draw with so many variations possible.

Klomp - Jody Genovese
Easier than it looked at first sight -
especially if you draw the line at step #4 first,
so that your diamond shapes all line up.
Great fun to shade and embellish for variety.

Saatin - Nadine Roller & Lola - Stephanie Jennifer
Two tangles on this tile. 
I didn't fancy the heavy highlighting that Nadine
suggest for Saatin - but I loved the overall design of the tangle.
I added detail lines and shaded to suggest holes.
I ran with the idea of a hole in Lola too -
and then tied the tangles together with a black ribbon!

BrixBox - Anneke Van Dam
Anneke shared this tangle in 2013, just before
I started tangling - but I only discovered it a few weeks ago
when Margaret Bremner posted about alternative grids.
It takes focus to set up the basic grid, but then filling it is pure pleasure.
I popped in bits of Cubine, Dex and Eye-Wa.

Flux d'Lux - Jenny Perruzzi
A fun jump-off from Flux, and reminding me of Cruffle too,
Jenny shared this tangle in her Anything Goes Facebook group.
Relaxing to tangle, wild with embellishment potential -
I love the way your Flux can touch, overlap, or even
stand a little apart.

I'm sure next time I'll be back on familiar turf, but for now it's been fun exploring pastures new.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, I just discovered your blog this morning and am loving it! You not only have a way with Tangling your writing skills are so enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such kind words and welcome Jewjewbear! I actually started tangling, 6 years ago, to give me a distraction from writing, but now I find I write about tangling too. The two have become one!

      Delete
  2. A very enjoyable read - I always look forward to your musings, like "When I see what I can do for it and what it can do for me." I really like that thought and will contemplate it when I next tangle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. When I'm tangling I often let thoughts and phrases float about in my head, trying to capture the essence of what I'm feeling and thinking when I tangle. Sometimes they make it to my blog. I love the thought that you might hold that phrase in your mind when you tangle!

      Delete