Tuesday 29 January 2019

a pleasing shade of discomfort

Sometimes the wisdoms that I learn from my Zentangle practice mirror those I hold true and close in the rest of my life. But sometimes they lead me in entirely different directions. In my day-to-day life I am not a risk taker - it doesn't suit me. I know my comfort zone - I nurture it, protect it from threat and cherish time spent there. But on the blank page in writing, or on a tile that's a place I'm willing to take the odd risk. There I'll chance trying something a little out of the comfortable. Because what's to lose really - only a little time and ink?

Ratoon - in black and blue - with aura, orbs and something like Fescu
So this week I'm taking some risks. The Diva invites us to play with new ZTHQ tangle Ratoon. It's been circulating for a while but the official stepout was only just released. Every time I've seen it I've loved it, and every time I thought about trying to tangle it I've talked myself out of it. These kind of knotted tangles often prove tricky for me. But I did it - not even practising in my sketchbook first! Just straight to the beautiful Fabriano paper. And while there are a few wobbles and a couple of moments where I thought I was losing control, I'm pleased with my first attempt, and even more that I've broken my fear of Ratoon.

If you're similarly wary I'd offer a few tips. Firstly allow plenty of space, at least when you're starting out, and make sure that the outer 'seeds' are placed a good distance from your inner ones. Slow down, breathe often, and turn the tile to whatever way feels most comfortable as you draw each line - I learned this the hard way when for much of the tile I couldn't see where I was aiming for with my lines!

Blue Molygon - with added hearts!
I'm also warming up in preparation for joining in with my first ever ValenTangle. Some of you may know that I have an aversion to drawing hearts - but this year seems the prime time to overcome that. It's just another shape after all! ValenTangle, now in its fourth year, is a two-week opportunity to tangle on the theme of hearts and love in all its guises. It's the brainchild of Dutch tangler extraordinaire Marguerite Samama. Yet again she's written a PDF filled with illustrated prompts sure to tickle your tangling tastebuds - and I was honoured to be invited to write a prompt for one of the days! There is no obligation to join in everyday, or to stick with any particular colour scheme (I'll be working in muted blues to tie in with my Winter Inklings project1). ValenTangle begins on February 1st, and continues through to the 14th. Come and join the dedicated Facebook group where people will be sharing their art, you can also find the prompt book there. If you're not a Facebook user but would like to join in drop me an email (theraggedray@gmail.com) and I'll send a PDF back to you!

ValenTangle 2019 on Facebook 

8 comments:

  1. I also have an aversion to risk-taking! LOVING both your tiles on this post. Might just have to have a go at Ratoon . . . looks fab, if a little tricky!

    Hurry up Saturday . . . going to the Zentangle class taught by local CZT!

    Happy tangling,
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ratoon is trickier than some, I'm planning another go today though!

      Have fun on Saturday!

      Delete
  2. Your Ratoon is awesome! Have fun in your Zentangle class!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same fear for this tangle :-) Love what you did with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. It's a little scary this one!

      Delete
  4. I love your Ratoon, Jem, especially with that lovely shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Linda. It's a lovely blue - it's a Staedtler Triplus Fineliner in Delft Blue.

      Delete