Thursday 10 January 2019

these darkening days

For the past couple of years I have worked on a tangle project over the festive period. I've given myself limited materials and focus and have been pleasantly surprised by the results. I planned to do the same this year but things didn't turn out quite as hoped. In addition to my injured tangling arm I also had severe back pain which left me unable to do much beyond lying down, moving occasionally and tentatively, and trying to keep hold of the Christmas spirit while substituting a gin and tonic for a handful of painkillers!

Christmas and New Year wasn't what we planned or hoped for, but despite that I wouldn't say we had a bad time, we found gentle pleasures in unexpected places. And while my tangling wasn't quite what I planned, it wasn't a failure either.

I allowed myself only a handful of supplies - pen, pencil, tortillion,
plus a dark grey watercolour brush pen, and a water brush

True, I only produced two tiles in two weeks, working just a tiny amount each day, before needing to take a break. But the tangling still felt absorbing and helpful, and the results look pretty good too.

Tangles used – Divi, Diva Dance, Mooka and Twile

I've been playing with the scrap of an idea for a while - of working in a palette and style in keeping with the seasons. I'm not sure if I'll keep exclusively to that for a full three months, but it's something I want to revisit again and again, as I like the idea of having a body of work reflective of the time it was made.

Tangles used – Divi, Diva Dance and Bask-It

These two tiles start my Winter Inklings, as I think I'll call it. They are stark but striking, cool but somehow comforting. Broken branches and fractured ice, heavy woollen blankets too.

14 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful - the winter inklings have a powerful current flowing through them. Wishing you a happy, healthy and creative new year - hope you are soon on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, for this and also the comment you left before Christmas, that I couldn't respond to at the time.

      It's funny, but you're right, these tiles do look powerful, despite how weak I was feeling when I drew them. I think sometimes Zentangle taps into core parts of you that you might not notice at a surface level.

      Delete
  2. Jem, love the rawness of these inklings, they are so fresh. Love your work. All the best wishes for 2019, hope your health issues soon resolve, in the meantime, keep on tangling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvette. As I said to Jennifer, I think our state of mind and body as we tangle is often reflected in the outcome. There's definitely something quite physical in these tiles - muscles and nerves and tissues all appearing within abstract patterns.

      Delete
  3. Your creativity and your descriptions are always so inspiring, Jem. I love your though process and how you can transfer these I to beautifully executed tangling that still focuses upon the true core of Zentangle.... of being in the moment and tangling purely for the joy and not the art.

    Hoping that you feel better and your arm and back are recovering. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I was totally in the moment when tangling despite considerable pain, but even when I couldn't actually tangle thinking about tangling calmed me and kept me positive. Although nothing quite beats the pleasure of having the pen back in my hand.

      I'm recovery, more slowly than I'd like, but heading in the right direction.

      Delete
  4. The Jem is on sparkling form again <3 Keep getting better and I wish you both health and happiness for 2019 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary, a little duller than usual but a bit of sparkle nonetheless! Best wishes to you to my dear.

      Delete
  5. Your work is lovely. Things have their own momentum... ESPECIALLY in art. Periods when lots gets done, periods when more time is spent looking at blank 'canvas' for one reason or another. This year, the holidays were odd.... for lack of better word for many. The tyoical routine just not there, which I think throws anyone off. Illness, pain, etc tend to consume but it is when things are created despite that when we rise from the ashes, show ourselves we can do anything. Keep drawing... keep pushing on. Things are looking great! And when mind is busy, body will take care of itself. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such true words Andrea. We can only work with what we've got and trust the process, of the art and our own natural healing.

      Delete
  6. OH WOW . . . . the first thing I thought of when I saw these Winter Inklings was of trees and their roots. They are wonderful. Glad they helped see you through a tricky time. Hope your health continues to improve, especially the poorly hand.

    Happy 2019.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn. Trees and roots were my primary inspiration for sure. Best wishes for your year too!

      Delete
  7. Both tiles are wonderful, dear Jem! I like Divi very much ... especially the great combination of Divi and Diva Dance.
    I hope you feel better now. All the best for 2019!
    Hugs, Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette. Some tangles work well together, and sometimes it's just a matter of chance of discovering a good pairing, but those two are very harmonious together. I'm doing better every day, and hoping things keep heading in the right direction. Best wishes for your year.

      Delete