Friday 31 January 2020

Gallery #1

In my last post I talked about changing things a little on my blog.  As well as posts where I explore a theme or style or technique I want to have posts where I simply share the pieces I've worked on recently, with minimal commentary (by my standards)!  A guided tour through my tangle gallery if you like - and this is the first of those posts.

I'm in an opinionated mood today, so bear with me, and just enjoy the pictures if you don't like what I have to say.

Time to say goodbye -
(Arukas, Mooka and Fescu )
Pigment ink and graphite on a Distress Ink coloured and stenciled tile

I tangled this tile today - the day that the United Kingdom leaves the European Union. This is not something I wanted, not something I voted for. But I understand, with a heavy-heart, that I have to accept the workings of democracy, and the so-called 'will of the people' - even when I think their choice is short-sighted and will leave our country poorer in so many, many ways. I feel sad today, and scared about what lies ahead. I want to reach out to my European tangle friends and tell them I'm not letting go.

I'd rarely choose to work on a such a bright blue tile and with yellow stars too - but sometimes how things look isn't as important as what they represent!

AusTangles Part I
(S-Vine, Veezy, Gottago, Leaflet, Remo, Sevy)
Pigment ink and graphite on a watercoloured postcard - 6x4 inches

Over the past 2 weeks I've joined in with Austangles, hosted on Facebook by Yvette Campbell. She picked a daily tangle by an Australian tangler and invited us to join in however we wanted to. It was great to work with some new and old tangles and I had fun weaving them all together on a pair of postcards - one to represent the warmth and richness of Australia's natural habitat and culture, the other for the cooling waters that surround it.

AusTangles Part II
(Trimonds, Appease, Mak-Rah-Mee, Swimz, Oddballz, Brax)
Pigment ink and graphite on a watercoloured postcard - 6x4 inches

Australia has been suffering in recent months with devastating wildfires causing significant death and destruction. It's hard to know how to help when you're many miles away. I don't personally believe in prayers for rain, but I do believe in what we can do as individuals. I can donate to charities that are helping those affected. I can read to stay informed and educate myself about what's happening and why - which is undeniably related to the worsening state of our climate. I can make sensible and necessary lifestyle choices that might limit my negative impact on our climate. And I can vote for those who properly respect our world and are willing to do what needs to be done.  I can also spend time reflecting on these things as I tangle using along with others all around the world, and hope that a little connection can go a long, long way.

Lastly and with no agenda whatsoever -
these are the next 3 tiles for my Zen-untangled tin (a project to explore the full set of Zentangle official tangles).
On the first - Molygon, Nipa and Bumper
On the second - Verdigogh, Locar and Pepper
On the third - just Ellish


I'm about to dive into this year's ValenTangle - a two week celebration of connection and love, carefully designed and hosted by Marguerite Samama.  I had a wonderful time last year, and came a long way towards conquering my dislike of drawing hearts.  Join us if you'd like to, and I'll be back in a couple of weeks to share my results.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Jem, as always, I am in awe of your tangling, and your meditative process as you work. AusTangles 2020 was the richer for having you amongst us. Your art and your thoughtful presence in the group showed us how much you care, even from the other side of the world. My sincere thanks, and keep on being you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvette, for such loving words.

      A few weeks ago I decided to work on a piece while thinking about what was happening in Australia. I wanted a way to quiet my racing heart and mind, a little overloaded with all I was reading and feeling. I wanted to work just using Australian tangles - but struggled to find a way to pin down the origins of each tangler. And then I stumbled across AusTangles! Such sweet serendipity.

      Delete
  2. Ohh I think the stars compliment the tile nicely!!! You have my wheels turning! - I actually LOVE drawing hearts and I hadn't heard of Valentangle, thanks for sharing. Your middle tiles are amazing! I haven't heard of some of those tangles, thanks for listing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Artzy. I'm pleased I'm introducing you to new patterns. I'm not sure, but the Facebook group for Valentangle might have closed for this year now... but have you seen the tangles of Helen at A Little Lime - she does so many amazing heart tangles, you will love them!

      https://alittlelime.blogspot.com/search/label/tangle%20pattern

      Delete
  3. I loved the first two austangles postcards especially. They are so beautiful! I could spend ages looking at them.

    My heart is with you, Jem as we similarly mourn the direction the world seems to be taking. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Debbie - I read this days ago and only now remembered I'd forgotten to reply - I'm all over the place at the moment - you know how it goes!

      Thank you for your lovely words. Sometimes I feel that making these tangles is the only thing that helps make the world a bit more beautiful!

      Delete