Thursday 1 November 2018

knowing when to stop

I spent much of September weaving this way and that over whether I might join in with Inktober this year.  One day I thought I would, the next not.  October began and I still thought I might.  Then decided against it.  I had a fair few tangling balls in the air, and couldn't really manage another comfortably.  But then... it was so tempting to want to join in.  And so I started to... but then I stopped.

And then I realised something.  I realised that I really love Ginilli (the tangle chosen by Stephanie Jennifer for October 3rd).  And I'm also quite taken with the Easy Mooka that a few people were using.  And so that's as far as my Inktober got.  But I loved every minute of it, and poured every drop of my ink-sodden heart into these four tiles.

An autumnal window - done using fountain pens and Diamine ink

Black pen, grey pen - and a Mooka stem for Ginilli to bloom on

A tissue-dyed tile - Ginilli in a spiral with added Easy Mooka tufts

Getting experimental - angular Ginilli and straight Mooka - with silver borders

Maybe next year I'll join in properly, maybe I'll even get beyond the first three prompts.  And maybe I won't, and that's fine too!

10 comments:

  1. <3 I love this so much, Jem!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tiles, especially the tissue-dyed one. I looked at the inktober tangle list on several days; it seemed like a good idea to do it but somehow just too much to manage. I never started at all but applaud your effort and interesting blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I'm glad I did what I did, but am relieved I didn't try to do what I couldn't manage - if that makes sense!

      Delete
  3. I love all your Ginili tiles, Jem, but, although I am a curvy, loopy, roundy drawing girl, I love your last Ginili tile best - so out of the box - so inspiring to look past the default! Thanks, Jem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie - it was a weird one that last one - it felt like a betrayal of my beloved Ginilli - but I really liked it too!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, ooh . . . I simply love them ALL . . . BUT my faves are the first and third.

    Tangling is meant to be a pleasure, not something you feel FORCED to do, so your decision to start & stop the challenge as and when was the right one IMHO.

    Happy Friday wishes going your way xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarn. On this occasion I made the right decision. Which makes up for all those times I choose the wrong one! Happy Monday to you, as it now is!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Jem, these are ALL truly delightful. I have not seen the Easy Mooka before and I love it. I petered out on Inktober too, but I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele - I'm glad we petered out together, even though you got a lot further than me! Yes, the Easy Mooka is fun - I saw someone use it on FB and they explained that Maria Thomas had used it on an App video I think... anyway - I like it - but prefer to call it Mini Mooka in my head!

      Delete