Thursday 8 November 2018

fitting it all together

I'll start with a confession.  I rarely buy books, lessons, or kits relating to Zentangle.  In part this is because I have a relatively limited budget, and also a desire not to accumulate more stuff than I need, and also to avoid shipping too much of said stuff half way round our planet and back.  But it's also because I sometimes feel like I don't really want or need the kit, because I can pretty much see what I need to do (roughly speaking) to get the desired result or look.  I don't mean that to sound as smug as it probably does.

I consider buying some lessons and kits and when weighing up my choices I try to pick ones that I know will give me the most value.  Not just in their immediate content, but in how I might use what I learn from them in my ongoing Zentangle practice.  I want the teaching to be adaptable and open to my own interpretation.  I want to be able to expand beyond the basics.  I want to be able to put my own stamp on the results.

Having had a taster of the scope of the kits designed by Marguerite Samama thanks to working with her Zen Buttons early this year, I knew I would find all of the the things I was looking for in her latest Persian Mosaic™ kit.  The kit is available to buy from Etsy via this link.  If you are in Europe you might prefer to buy directly from Marguerite - who you can contact through Facebook.

Toward the end of September my kit arrived and I dived in.  The instructions guide you skillfully through a number of projects to help you understand and appreciate the concept.  An invaluable component of the kit is a special stencil that divides up a 3Z tile.  You then fill the 3 sections with tangles of your choice.  A Cobalt colour pen is also included and further feeds into the Persian design scheme. 

This was the first one I drew, on tan paper I cut myself.


Attractive enough in itself, but the magic starts to happen when you draw more and lay them alongside each other.  


Next up Marguerite invites us to work with the Cobalt pen alone, and also add coloured shading using an included matching watercolour pencil.  I love the fact that each tile looks good alone, but bought together a new level of wonder appears!


As if that wasn't enough fun Marguerite adds bonus projects using a Zentangle Fragment she calls Shiraz.  Here it is repeated 3 times on a 3Z tile.


And here it's used to form a hexagon.  Both example use the Cobalt pen, alongside my own Sanguine pen.


This gives a taste of the basic projects included in the kit.  I followed the instructions closely, allowing myself only the occasional irresistible deviation!  I've been thrilled with the results, which I've shared in a small but thoroughly supportive and inspiring private Facebook group.  But the real excitement for me is seeing where I go next.  Because this kit isn't done and dusted for me now that I've got the hang of it.  What unexplored Persian pathways await me?  What shining cobalt treasures can I find there?  I think it's fair to say that this post is to be continued...

10 comments:

  1. They're amazing and all very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jem,
    These are beautiful,the colours and depth,the potential! Have fun with this and I look forward to seeing more xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary. It's a colour palette I probably wouldn't have found on my own, but I'm loving it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful and inspiring art; it is gratefully and keenly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your lovely comment Jennifer. I'm glad you enjoy my posts.

      Delete
  4. WOW - amazing tangling and the effect is so 3D with your wonderful shading and highlighting. Like you, say, great on their own, but magical when put together! SUPER!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn. Yes, the cumulative effect took me by surprise. There's a moment or two when making the same tile six times feels a little repetitive, but the end result makes it worth it.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic! I love what you did with the Shiraz Fragment, especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. I haven't done much with fragments before. But this is a really good way to get to grips with their power, and Shiraz is a great one - straight lines and angles - what's not to love!

      Delete