Thursday 18 July 2019

taming the leaf

I usually begin by telling you about how a tile started, before eventually revealing the finished piece - but this week I'm going to reverse that.

Here is a two tile Persian Mosaic (I've blogged about these at length before) - my summer version of Marguerite's Samama's tangled triangular adventures.

Summer Mosaic - tangled with the hypnotic Doodah, rounded Paradox and a rough version of Decoo

These rich greens and golds didn't start off looking quite so good!  I started with two square tiles that I'd coloured using a new Brusho powder that claimed to be Leaf Green, but which turned out to be little different to their Lime Green.  These two tiles were far too zingy for my mid-summer mood so I set about calming them down a bit.

After pencilling in the unique string, using the template that comes with the Persian Mosaic kit, I tangled with my Olive Green Copic fineliner.  When it came to shading I used a Teal Blue Irojiten to shade along with graphite.  I added only a small pop of white chalk as I wanted this tile to calm down, not wake up. 

Work in progress - I started to shade a section of the first 3Z before I'd finished tangling 
because I wanted to check that what I was trying for might work before committing myself!

As a final finishing touch I used some gold watercolour to add a few dots and some little rings, made my dipping a pen cap into the paint and stamping it on the tile. 

Playing with the light - two tiles at rest of the arm of our garden bench.

I then cut the triangles free from the square tiles and placed the two together to make a whole. 

Sometimes days, like tiles, don't start how we'd like them to, but with a little patience and perseverance, some might end up better than we feared.

17 comments:

  1. These are wonderful. I enjoyed reading the progress of the work on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET! Now I have an idea what to do with my Brusho Tiles. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jules - I'm getting better at turning Brusho fails into wins! Eventually I'll tame those powders so they aren't either too bright, too dark, or too pale. It's fun trying though!

      Delete
  3. They're very pretty in spite of being green. I love the metallic gold rings and thanks for explaining how you did them because I wondered. I love Irojiten colored pencils. They come in some wonderful colors that I haven't seen in other brands. I have them 28 colors that I bought open stock including Teal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda. I've done those little rings before, using Distress Inks before tangling, but suddenly thought I could add some afterwards.

    The Irojiten are lovely - they are my only coloured pencils that I have a full set of. Others I just have a few loose ones. I haven't seen them in open stock in the UK so decided to treat myself to the sets. Some people find them very hard compared to other pencils but I like that, it allows me more precision. And you're right, such interesting and muted colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's because the Irojiten pencils are a little bit hard, I find that they don't obscure my black ink lines as much as other brands of pencils. With most colored pencils, I find that I need to retrace my ink lines after coloring but not so much with Irojiten.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous! Love the touch of gold on the green tiles. Terrific tangling too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn. I'm not usually a fan of glitz and shine but I'll make the odd exception!

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of using the the pen cap to make the little gold circles! I'm going to try this. I love your tiles. Never can go wrong with green either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Artzy. I love to look around me and use whatever comes to hand to make marks or textures. I have a tiny jam jar that I use for water when painting and I often use that for rings too. Which is why I thought you'd used bubble wrap when in fact you'd used a 'proper' tool to make the pattern!

      Delete
  7. Can I use the word 'magnificent'?
    OK, thanks.
    Dear Jem, these 2 tiles are absolutely magnificent and together creating a stunning decor tile, too. Hat off to you!!
    PS: I may not always comment on your posts, often forgetting it, but I am always opening your emails with lots of anticipation and the question: what tangles/tiles has she touched now with her magic wand to created all her eye candy tiles?
    Thanks for all your inspirational work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. While your comments are always warmly welcomed I'm mostly just pleased to know you like seeing my tangling adventures and that they inspire and delight you.

      Delete
  8. I'm fond of tangling on watercoloured backgrounds, your result is wonderful and I love your rough Decoo!(My favorite colour is green, so for me this is extra beautiful, especially with that golden touch)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria. I'm so pleased you liked my green tiles featuring your tangle, although I've tangled better looking versions of it in my sketchbook. It's a lovely tangle for sure.

      Delete
  9. I so enjoyed reading your blog. Green is my fave color and the tangles you chose are just perfect. I’d love to be on your distribution list but the email address below is incorrect. My email is:
    Paolucci.barbara@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. I'm glad you like my tanglings.

      Not sure what the tech problems are but hopefully I've just signed you up to be on the list. You'll probably get a confirmation email you'll need to click to confirm you want to be subscribed.

      Delete