Wednesday 22 August 2018

for your eyes only

Maria Thomas recently wrote a blog post asking for advice for new tanglers.  I responded by suggesting people shouldn't be over-eager to share the all the results of their tangling.  Don't get me wrong, I love seeing people's art, and I love sharing my own.  But I think some balance has value too.  I think we can tend to feel that everything we produce is for the public eye, and that can make us overly self-critical.  If instead a tile is sometimes only for us it can be something more precious, more personal.  And perhaps we'll share it later, but when we've come to know it better.  Which might eliminate some of those 'this is a bit rubbish' disclaimers that people post beneath their work!  I feel that I was lucky to initially learn Zentangle  from a book, with only my pens and tiles and paper and no-one to show it to.  I still like to do that now - tangle tiles, play with ideas and not share them at all, or at least not straight away.  For every benefit of an online community - whether that is blog-based, Facebook groups, Instagram - there are drawbacks too.  It's not about not doing it, but bearing in mind the influence it has on your practice of the art.

That said, here are some of the pieces that I've worked on over the past few weeks.

This started as a practice piece - playing with how white gel and pencil only would look on a tan tile.  I drew a little section of Krokus in a frame.  And I loved how it looked - to the degree that I forced myself to leave the tile at that, nothing more.


I recently got lucky and stumbled across some bargain priced original Zentangle tiles, which encouraged me to get reckless with the scissors and do one of those cut ups that were all the rage at the end of last year.  I'm heavily into Diva Dance Rock 'n' Roll at the moment and stumbled on the idea of only filling in certain parts with black - I really like the result.  Some curls of white Diva Dance on the black side and metallic purple Therefore to pull it all together!


In a developing theme I finished a tile for Adele's It's a String Thing #256 challenge - but not in time!  But here it is!  A simple band of the lovely Mazorito - with single Horti sprouting from it here and there.  All done on a grey pastel paper tile, with shading and white highlights galore!


And lastly, it's that time again where the Queen of Tangled Mosaics Annette asks for contributions for her forthcoming Project.  This time she gave us a string based on the Zentangle ribbons done in Project Pack #3.  And she asked us to tangle and shade some of them in red!  Which was quite daunting as I find it quite an unfriendly colour and usually only use my red pen for step-outs.  But once I'd found a pencil that matched I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  These are the two tiles I'm sending her and I can't wait to see what they look like mixed in with all the others - she'll share the results on 5th September.


















Back in May I shared this tile that I was sending to Annette for Project #13 and once the Project was done she sent me a mini Mosaic she'd made with my tile alone.  Every time I'm wowed when I see how a single tile can be flipped and rotated and grow into something so wonderful.  And of course the full glory is when all of our individual tiles come together - in many different layouts - see the full story of Project #13 here.









9 comments:

  1. Oh Jem! These are all so good! I thought my favorite was the black and white DivaDance, until I saw the IAST wow! But they’re all amazing, as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all wonderful. I really agree with your "don't share it all" advice. I have sketchbooks filled with pieces I have worked on that never see the light of day for anyone else. They are my work that maybe I'm practicing on, or don't like the direction it's going, or this is nice but I think I'll just keep it to myself. Your Diva Dance practices are awesome. And I really like the tan piece with just white and graphite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat - I'm so glad that my thoughts about sharing made sense to you. I hoped people would understand what I was trying to say and not just think I was telling people not to share their creations!

      Delete
  3. Jem, your minimalist is my fav. I often draw similar tiles, but always feel guilty for having too much white space. Your tile just confirmed that I can do whatever I want! My tiles have to please MY eyes only! Having said aforementioned, your other tiles are equally beautiful, just that the first inspired me most or reaffirmed me.
    As for your publication idea. I, too, have tiles and sketches I never/not yet put up. However, I publish maybe more than I should, I confess. My excuse? My post is for me and I use it as my virtual tangle diary. People are happily invited to visit, maybe to get an inspiration (may I hope?), or an idea or whatever, but I impose no obligations. I deactivated my comments section a few months ago, which, among one or 2 other reasons, I believe makes it easier for people to have a quick look and close the door quietly again without feeling guilty for not having left a comment (I used to feel guilty). I myself leave a comment here or there, but in general enjoy my 'self inflicted' freedom to do so or not.
    I hope the above makes sense.
    PS: I always stop by YOUR site for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie - as always, such a thoughtful and full response! And it all makes sense!

      I don't think you publish too much - it works for you. Your work always appears to be finished, carefully curated and well developed. And mostly you seem pleased with what you share. But sometimes I see people who seemed to be battered by the self-imposed pressure to share, to gain 'likes' etc without realising they don't have to!

      It's easy to fall into loops of thinking what is appropriate or not. You said it yourself about feeling guilty for leaving too much white space. I do too. Whereas the results can be so pleasing - to myself and hopefully others too. Here's to more white space! Here is a link to an old post of mine where I first truly embraced the idea of leaving most of the tile blank - https://raggedray.blogspot.com/2015/11/whispering.html

      Delete
    2. Jem, thanks for your kind words concerning my tiles and for the link to an older post. I love what you did now and then ... that Hamail is really to die for! I also clicked the link for the DIVA page...117 entries! I will take the time and click through all of them and I know I will get many more new ideas on how to work "minimalistic" (if that is not a word, it is now - LOL) and completely lose the guilty feeling. Cheers.

      Delete
  4. What a great post! I wholeheartedly agree with this because I started the same way, with a Zentangle book, pen and sketch book, into it for several months before discovering, much less participating in the Zentangle/challenge/ blogosphere. Had I seen Maria's query, I would have added "never apologize for your art". My heart breaks a little when I see that.
    As for your art, the Elegance of Limitation (I think that was a term of Rick's I read somewhere) is illustrated perfectly in your first piece. The others are lovely too, the black and white one is fun and I always love the way you do the highlight in the black ribbon effect as on your IAST piece- a gorgeous composition 😍 Thank you for your wise words and inspiring art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I'm sure I'd replied to this, but apparently not. Sorry Michele. And thank you as always for your comment. Oh yes, apologies are sad. That's one of the pitfalls of sharing - it's so easy to become ultra comparative.

      I know you're a fan of my black ribbon highlight - it came about by accident really. I used to see those little highlights in single thin lines and not manage to get them right -they looked like scratches - I can do them now but don't like them as much as the bold ones. The highlight in broken ink on the thick lines works better for me than putting it in after with white. Trial and error are a large part of my art repertoire!

      Delete