Wednesday 4 June 2014

sound the Bugles

A downwards progression - featuring Msst,
Prestwood and Tipple
One of the many interesting aspects of Zentangle is the way the tangles are meant to be non-representational.  This is one of the keys that really allows us to unleash our carefree artist selves - without the fear of whether what we draw looks like what it's meant to be.

For me it's a great outlet from my daily writing work, where I'm striving hard to make each word I chose capture as best I can whatever I'm trying to get across.  A break with a tile and pen allows movement and freedom and blissful meaninglessness.  However, as soon as I put that pen down and look at my tile, I snap back into the represented world.  I start to see all sort of things in my tile.  But that's fine, by then I need to get back to noticing things in that way.

Bunch of delights - Diva Dance, Rain,
Verdigogh and Henna Drum
When I set out playing with Bugles for this week's Diva Challenge I happily drew away thinking of nothing more than where the pen might take me, where a straight or a curve line might work, where dark and light should meet or steer clear of one another.  But when I stepped back from the finished tile, true to form, I saw all sorts of things that tied in with what I'd been reading earlier that day.  I could see rain dripping down to a parched and buckled land.  I could see elephant trunks.  I could see childhood beaches and ice-cream cornets.  And all that without me intending any of it.

Keeping it simple - with added Cruffle
I thought it might be fun for a second tile to swing wildly the other way - to intend to draw something, to set out to make a picture with the tangles.  I deconstructed Bugles - lifting the cones from the Bales-like connectors.  Set that way they reminded me of those plastic cones that florists sell flowers in - and if tangles grew on trees, what a bouquet that would be!

For some reason then I felt that I should come back round, to where we start from, an intention of no intention.  A third and final tile - with Bugles again lifted from it's moorings.  And tucked a little more snuggly into each of it's neighbours.  A simple square of paper and ink - and nothing more to it that whatever you want it to be.


11 comments:

  1. What a fantastic little trip - with pictures and words. All three tiles are wonderful - but I love the second two the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really stretched Bugles in so many different directions. I love them all, and enjoyed the story along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these are super; I love your development of the tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure see you like to play with the tangle. Your development in the three tiles is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - love the journey of bugles you provided for us - really shows the beauty of zentangle - it truly can be anything you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your description of your trip and the outcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME TILES.... love them all... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for using my tangle, Bugles. You went on a creative journey - wow. Thank you for sharing. I like them all but especially the flowers in the vases with the mat under.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to hear your process working with bugles. I have to retry this tangle as I was not happy with the way mine turned out, so thanks for the nudge in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your bugles journey. The freedom you allowed yourself - moving from non-representational to a "form" (which emerged as a result of desire) and then back to free-flow. It raised my awareness to these different consciousness states.
    Beautiful.

    For the tiles themselves - also beautiful :)
    I like them all. I liked your variation, and composition, and flow, and form, and "non-form".

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete