Thursday 14 August 2014

under the bridge

When the latest Diva Challenge was announced earlier this week I took a look and had a go at drawing MacDee (the tangle we were invited to use).  Usually I quickly think of something I want to do with it - an idea, even a sketchy one starts to form.  But nothing came.  Days went by and still nothing... I was all set to think that maybe I wouldn't do a tile for this challenge and then this morning, flicking through my sketch book I spotted Girdy which I'd practiced a few weeks ago.  And suddenly there was my perfect mate for MacDee. 


The tile then came together pretty quickly.  Just the two tangles, and MacDee drawn with coloured pens which I don't do often, but which added a bit of pop.  And as I was drawing I started to work out why, for me, Girdy was so ready to receive MacDee - because MacDee is obviously a lot like tartan, and Girdy is a chunky industrial tangle and Scotland was always know for its ironworks.  And whenever I've been to Scotland the long railway bridge that crosses the Tay and curves into Dundee is the sure sign that I've arrived.  Isn't it funny how the mind works?!

15 comments:

  1. Great combination of tangles! Love the MacDee in the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two tangles work very well together and the colours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiration comes according to its own timetable, doesn't it? Very nice design - balance and restraint well utilized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They work really well together x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great creative way to do a tangleation of MacDee and Girdy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smiled when I saw how you used this weeks tangle. I almost used Girdy, but my mind was thinking "quick", and I didn't go past that thought. But wow, you did a fantastic job!! I love it! (better than I would've done) ;0) Have a great weekend! Share humanity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!!!! What a great idea to use Girdy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of the 2 tangles! Nice tile x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Great combination of these two tangles! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific extremely well drawn Tile. Love your design. Trim and proper, fresh as a daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful colors and a very creative tile you made. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! Looks like bagpipes to me...is that intentional or coincience? Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to everyone as always for your lovely comments - truly encouraging. And Annie - that was pure coincidence - but well spotted!

    ReplyDelete