Tuesday 25 March 2014

make your own kind of music

I learnt an important lesson last week. That speed-tangling isn't for me. When I set out to see if I could do two quick tiles for the Diva challenge it seemed like a good idea. It wasn't. I didn't enjoy the process, and the resulting tiles weren't great either. But later, on reflection, I felt I'd cheated myself. So much of modern life is about hurry - Zentangle seems like a rare area where we can take it at our own pace. And my pace is slow.

Thanks to everyone who commented and told me to take it steady. You confirmed what I already knew in my heart. I won't make that mistake again. And how apt that this week's Diva challenge is all about the spiral. That thing that goes around and around on itself, barely seeming to make progress, but ultimately getting somewhere.



This week I took the time to do it my way. I wrapped some Aquafleur type bands around the spiral, and then filled in the segments with Antidots. I took time with each stroke, and took time with the shading. And I enjoyed every minute of it - however many there were. And the resulting ammonite type creature seems to rise off the tile as if to greet me. As if to say hello, thank you and well done.

Addendum

Finding myself with a little more time to play I tried another spiral. 


This time using a simple version of Zenplosion Folds (the ribbon version that Daniele shows later in her post). The tile was blue Tinted Bockingford Watercolour paper. I coloured one side of the ribbon blue (using a Zig Clean Color brush pen) and then shaded underside using my Derwent Water Soluble Graphite pencil. When all that was dry I went in and popped Nekton on the dark side and shaded a little more. I think it looks pleasingly tactile - and I like the suggestion that the pattern is hidden under the ribbon and it's only the ruffle that lets you see it!

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I like the 3D effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely wrapped spiral! Lovely tile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your tiles are beautiful! I really love the Zenplosion Folds in a spiral...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of them...the Zenplosion Folds work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't you just love the motion of Antidots? I used it this week also....posting soon... need to do some shading first

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of your tiles are beautiful! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job!!! They look as if they are moving when I look at them! Fabulous! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you decided to stay by yourself from now on. Your tiles are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like what you did here. It's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These are both fantastic. And, I can see you put a lot of time into them too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good, Ragged Ray - beautifully and deceptively simple and perfectly executed. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like what you achieved with some simplicity. Really like the folding of the second.

    ReplyDelete
  13. both gorgeous! The ribbon folds work perfectly in the spiral - love them!+

    ReplyDelete