Friday 31 May 2019

one foot in summer, the other in spring

For the last few weeks I've been tangling in an entirely different space - a six-sided space!  I've been spending time in the wonderful world of Relaxagons.  Relaxagons are a new concept and kit, lovingly designed and produced by Dutch CZT Marguerite Samama. 

If you'd like to buy the Relaxagons kit it's available from Marguerite's Etsy store.

I've talked at length before about how I'm picky about buying new products, materials and kits, so I won't repeat myself.  Suffice to say, buying the Relaxagons kit was a considered choice, but one I'm very pleased I made.

Exploring Relaxagons -
I confess that I cut a few of my own tiles just to use till I got the hang of things!
(I still struggle to break the habit of hoarding my special supplies!)

As well as hand-made tiles with a beautiful little detail along the edge, and carefully chosen coloured pencils, Marguerite's instructions are thorough and inspiring.  There are many ideas and suggestions to gradually explore the unique properties of tangling on hexagons.  The suggestions start simply and then progress.  There is enough guidance to help us achieve good results, but plenty of freedom and suggestions for where we might take our own practice.  And that is the strength for me.  It reassures me that I will get plenty of use out of the kit, and will be able to take it in new and unexpected directions.  I know I'll be using the Relaxagon concept for years to come - just as I'm still enjoying all that Marguerite's Zen Buttons and Persian Mosaics have to offer.

The first activity Marguerite suggests is getting to know the Relaxagon tile by using it for free tangle play.  This seems a simple idea, but is surprisingly effective as tangling on something that has 6 sides and 6 corners really does feel quite different!  The tiles are a little larger than regular square tiles too - but smaller than Zendala. 

My first Relaxagon -
I started with Antidots, my ultimate comfort tangle - some Cubine, and
Fescu appeared as well as some detail lines.  The result was quite unexpected, like
the top of an ornate jewellery box.



My second Relaxagon -
I started with some Marasu, which came to points rather than spirals.
This tile looks bold and dynamic and I love the way that
negative space in the middle jumps out.


My third Relaxagon -
I laid a light colour wash of 3 blue triangles before I tangled -
but the colour mostly disappear when I shaded, leaving only
a hint of blue.  N'Zeppel, feathered Fescu and Doodah.

By this point I noticed I'd become utterly mesmerised by the symmetry of the hexagon, and wanted to break that.  Not that there is anything wrong with symmetry, but sometimes imbalance is just what we need.

My fourth Relaxagon -
I put down more blue this time, using one of the watercolour pencils from the kit.
Then I just let myself get lost in the repetition of a handful of ZT original tangles -
Mooka, Ynix, Printemps, N'Zeppel and Tipple - half filling the space and then stopping!


I'm ready to move on to the next activity in Marguerite's instructions, but I'm thrilled at the results so far - and I feel that the unusual shape of the tile has taken me to places that a circle, square, rectangle or triangle might not have done.  I'll return with further explorations at a later date!

*******

In other exciting news I've been working on my latest Zigzangle piece over the last couple of months.  I work on these a little at a time and slowly but surely they grow.  I hadn't done one since I joining in with the ZT HQ Twelve Days project at the tail end of last year.

My partner eco-dyed this Khadi paper zig-zag using turmeric.

This time I worked entirely in blue ink - out of my comfort zone for sure -  and shaded using only a darker blue pencil.

A host of tangles on this including - S-Vine, Inaura, Opus, Cruffle, Sitika, Nik, Fescu and Beadlines

The rough surface of the khadi paper zig-zag forces me to worry less about the precision of my line work and the smoothness of my shading - as neither are possible on that surface.  However, like the Relaxagons, it's fun to work on a different shaped paper and working little by little over many weeks reminds me that there's no need to rush, that process is far more important than produce.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this shape and the possibilities it provides. Your tangles are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adele. It's wonderful isn't it. My mind is racing with all the things I want to try. And yet again I'm stunned by how clever, yet in a very natural way, this Zentangle thing is. How a change of shape can make you feel and see things so differently!

      Delete
  2. WOW . . . Lovely Relaxagons . . . I particularly like the 4th one. Looks like a fun kit.

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn. Yes, the fourth one felt so good to tangle and I think that comes through in the tile. It is a great kit and I'm excited about continuing to work with it!

      Delete