Friday 24 May 2019

it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it

Despite how it might sound, this isn't a post where I gripe about my failings and expect you to compliment me in return!  It's just an opportunity for me to talk about the highs and lows of a tangling week.

We can't love every tile we draw.  There are going to be some that we want to frame and hang on a wall, that we want to introduce to our family, or tuck under our pillow at night to decorate our dreams.  There will be many that we feel okay about, but don't really remember much beyond the moment we signed and dated them and set them to one side.  And there will be some that we don't like much at all.  That we want to disown, or dissolve into mere atoms of paper and graphite and ink.  I always encourage tanglers who feel they've made a dud tile to keep it, don't throw it away, because it marks a moment and through that it still has something to tell them. 

Mooka, Cubine, Dex and Crescent Moon -
great tangles but this wasn't a winning combination.

On Wednesday I made a tile I really don't like.  It could have been wonderful - I started with a beautiful Zentangle round tile and pencilled in Annette's Zendala Moments #4 string (I'm playing catch up with these).  And it went wildly off-key from there.  In hindsight I wasn't in the right frame of mind to tangle.  I had pain in my teeth and my hip (both now fully resolved) and while sometimes tangling distracts me from cares and discomfort, sometimes it doesn't.  I tangled through the pain but minute by minute my tile started to decline - my line work was sloppy, I packed too much in and I started to feel really negative about the tile.  I packed up my supplies and only returned to the tile today.  I couldn't do much to save it - and I was sorely tempted not to share it, but I think it's important to share our tangling tragedies as well as our triumphs.  We all have days like that, tiles like that - I bet even Rick and Maria knock out a tile from tile to time that they look at with wobbly mouths and swiftly feed to Bijou!

All Stars (Tomàs Padrós) takes a bit of concentraion to set up the initial grid -
but once that is done you can go crazy with your choice of fill
and then watch it come to life and the shading stage!

The great thing about Zentangle is that there is always another chance, another tile, more ink, a sharpened pencil.  And what a difference a day makes!  Yesterday I played with two tangles by the masterful Tomàs Padrós.  These tangles were both new to me and both a fair bit more complicated than any I used on the round tile.  But they worked like a dream.  And even when I made a couple of mistakes - lines where they shouldn't have been, or lines that came out thick and wobbly I was quickly able to work those into my design.  I don't have much more to say about these tiles - they speak elegantly enough for themselves.

Taiga (Tomàs Padrós) is a mesmerising tangle with a familiar formation that
cleverly transforms into the look of tall winter trees - or can remain
entirely abstract if you wish.  A slip turned into the invitation to cut out
sections to enhance the appearance of a paper-cut forest!

By my definition my Spring themed tangling is coming to a finish at the end of May.  My pinks and yellows and greens are becoming more vibrant as summer edges nearer.  It's a cusp week next week, so time for something a little different, but then I'll move into Summer tangling mode.  There were quite a few springy ideas I never got to try - but there's always next year, and mostly I'm just proud of sticking to my project and even embracing the use of pink!

8 comments:

  1. I can totally relate. There are so many times when I don't really want to share a tile on Facebook or my blog because I don't like it only to have people go nuts over it. Go figure. I think we see our own work differently than others see it sometimes. I think that your round tile looks pretty darn good, by the way. The Mooka border things are pretty cool. I think that the colored background is making it seem a little busy and plaid-like or something and I'd love to see how it would look on a plain tile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. You're right that we all see things differently. And that my round tile suffers most from being too busy - some people can wear that look - I prefer a bit of breathing space!

      The Mooka border was a first attempt to try Mooka in an alternative way suggested by Stephanie Jennifer - you should take a look - I think it's got amazing potential!

      http://www.everythingis-art.com/2016/01/mooka-and-then-some.html

      Delete
  2. Oh how stoked am I to see our collar charms blogpost in your recent visits and look, there's also Steph's Everything is Art! Thank you so much, you made my day!

    I can relate -- I have many tiles that I do hide, and I don't usually talk about those too. I go through tangling slumps as well, where I don't put pen to paper for days, weeks and sometimes almost months. This is where my swapping helps me ensure I actually DO get to pen and paper lol... I am the host, so I can't not swap :P

    P.S. Sometimes when I screw up a tile, I use a black Permapaque or Identipen to fill it up. Then I tangle over that with white gel ink... all just to pretend it was intended :P

    Cheers,
    Debbie New CZT18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie - lovely to have you hear! I've followed Stephanie's blog for a long time and only found you recently through her. I have to confess that I'm not a cat person, but I love your tangling style so like to linger on your blog and look through the tangling images!

      Thanks for the reminder of the saviour of the black pen - I've never done that but think I might try it - I did it with a white pen on a black tile earlier this year and the result amazed me! It's buried somewhere in this post if you'd like a look -

      http://raggedray.blogspot.com/2019/02/debriefing-heart.html

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I'm so caught up with a design or simply the urge to tangle, and I do it and feel exhausted afterwards that I cannot see where the next bout of tangling is going to come from. I had two such moments this week.
    Tangling is like a challenge no one but me sets myself. So there's no pressure really but I do want to excel at it and it's a disappointment when I don't. This post strikes a chord with me.
    I like the colours on your tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sra. I totally understand what you mean. I think maybe I'm a little over-tangled at the moment. I think I need a micro-break, even a day or two, and then I'll be buzzing to be back. It always happens that way, suddenly new ideas start to tickle! But then of course, leave the break too long and your pen work gets out of practice and it takes a while to warm up. But as you say, the best sort of challenge is the sort you set yourself!

      Delete
  4. The ups and downs of tangling affect my tiles too! I think your zendala at the top could be the starting point of a wonderful new adventure: cutting a square tile from it, glueing this to a larger piece of paper with some space for all the loveliness to breathe and then adding a bit of border might be the making of it! Intense beauty somtimes needs to stand alone.
    So delightful, your thoughts on Rick and Maria's wobbly mouths as they feed certain tiles to bijou - I love the imagery!

    Jennifer M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I really like your idea for my first tile. Sometimes I've mounted tiles I've received in swaps onto larger tiles, but I've never deconstructed my own in that way! I'll definitely play with that idea!

      Delete