Tuesday 4 February 2014

seeping

As a second part of Day 21 of One Zentangle a Day Krahula challenges us to create a sepia tile.

I decided to carry on my practice of Rick's Paradox and B'tweed and tried them in a simple grid and border form.

I had a sepia Faber-Castell Pitt pen to draw with. I was surprised at how even a slight increase in nib size (the Pitt is 0.3mm compared to the Pigma Micron 01 which is 0.25mm) feels different to work with. In addition I didn't have anything that matched that well to create sepia toned shading. I improvised (Zentangle seems to encourage that!) using a ZIG brush pen in Dark Oatmeal which I blended out with a water brush pen.


And I like the result. It has a more loose feeling to it than many of my tiles. The pen strokes are less precisely laid and the brushed shading builds on that. As a whole it looks quite rustic – and from a distance resembles a vintage ceramic tile or perhaps and old coaster, stained by all the cups of tea that have been placed on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment