Thursday 29 August 2019

a blaze of glory

Way back in March I was working from a list of botanical style tangles gathered together by UK CZT Lucy Farran.  I got halfway through the list and then drifted to other things.

As the UK was blasted with a burst of intense heat last weekend I decided to show botanicals at their most vibrant on 3 ATCs that I coloured using 3 watercolour brush pens in orange, purple and teal.  I put little blobs of each colour onto the other tiles to better tie them together as a set.

Tangled with Andromeda, Pozer and a grid version of Oke

For each tile I used only 3 tangles from the list - one that could form a band, one grid tangle and one clump type tangle.

Tangled with Mumsy, Dooleedo and Jasmin

On bright tiles with limited space I had to work hard to avoid the tile becoming cluttered and the tangles overpowered.  Dark auras and rounding at the final stage really helped refine the definition.

Tangled with Ying, Aura-Leah and Krokus

As a set I think they have a particularly late summer feel to them.  They are bright, but a little overdone, the blooms are full but close to falling apart, or at least falling out with each other.  It's like the party has reached its peak, soon it will start to disperse, and then all we'll be left with is the clearing away that is autumn.

Riding the wave - this piece measures roughly 11 x 8 cm. 
It's tangled on a piece of Medioevalis paper which I finally bought following numerous recommendations.
The colours are the same as on the ATCs but my scanner really disagrees with the orange!
Some tangles you see here - Mooka, Esher, Gelijoy, Tipple, Bales, Flukes

I've also been working on this piece, albeit very slowly.  I started it about a month ago and added a little bit here and there every so often.  Usually I like to leave significant space on my tangled pieces, but sometimes I like the feeling of cramming lots of tangles in with little room to breathe.  There's not a lot of space but they look like they're having fun!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jem, these are a wonderful set! My favourite pieces are the last two.. it must be said, you’re very courageous to use orange in contrast with the blues! I’ve tried and it seldom turns out like I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! To be honest I'm not sure orange is a colour I'll use that often. I wanted to bring it in as a late summer colour though, to allow me to carry it into my autumn tangling where hopefully it will be more at home among the browns and reds and golds.

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous trio Jem, I like the pinky colour that the orange has appeared as, I think it works really well with the other two. Your way with words is as delightful as your tangling - I love your comparison of the tiles to late summer gardens, with their overgrown blooms coming to an end - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for a very sluggish response Lucy - I was taking a holiday offline last week.

      Glad you enjoyed by late summer tangling. I think I will keep your Botanitangles list close to hand and revisit it often. It's such a well curated list, with such variety within the theme.

      Delete