Monday 17 June 2019

six-sided celebrations

Today is a special day.  It's the anniversary of my very first Zentangle tile.

Back in the summer of 2013 I bought Beckah Krahula's One Zentangle a Day book, cut up a handful of thin white postcards, grabbed a 0.4 non permanent black pen and a pencil and tangled my first tile.  Two days later I tangled my second - and I haven't stopped since.

I blogged about my early exploration here - although I confess that I didn't start my blog straight away.  Initially I made notes on my tangling progress on pen and paper and only started the blog a couple of months in and then typed up my notes!

From little acorns - Static, Crescent Moon and Tipple

Everything I hoped Zentangle would bring me has happened.  My tangling has grown in confidence, ability and imagination.  I've explored different shaped tiles, different pens, a multitude of colours whilst never losing the love of basic black and white.  I've connected with people from all over this weird and wonderful world.  I've felt full to the brim with Zentangle excitement and also basked in utter calm as a tile takes shape at the end of my pen.

Mighty oaks - Drupe, Drawings and Aquafleur

Apt that six years on my current obsession is the six-sided delights that Marguerite Samama calls Relaxagons - which I blogged about a couple of weeks ago.  Moving on from getting to know the tile, Marguerite invites us to explore the hexagon shape using tangles which can benefit from greater space.  She offers example and suggestions and I tried this with three different tangles.

Firstly I worked in black and white on one of the delicious hand made Relaxagon tiles, cut from the same Fabriano paper as the Zentangle original white tiles.

Drupe with added Beadlines and Fescu

Then I coloured a tile using the watercolour pencils included in the kit.  Not only are the colours perfect compliments to each other but their quality is wonderful - they mixed and mingled so well.  

Drawings - usually reminiscent of birds, this looks like something
more at home beneath the waves. 

I prepared my final tile by masking using thin washi tape and then smooth blending some blue Distress Ink.  When I removed the tape the hexagon was divided into all sorts of interesting shapes - which I began to fill with Aquafleur.  Disaster struck in one section of the tile - I lost track of which ribbons I was filling and it all started to unravel!  A few moments of despair where I considered ditching the tile - then the 'No Mistakes in Zentangle' motto came to mind and I grabbed a black Posca pen and covered over the mistakes.  When it was dry I went back with my white and gold pens and if I hadn't told you, perhaps you might have thought it was my intention all along!

I've been tangling Aquafleur fairly regularly over the years -
but I noticed one day that it didn't feel quite right, and when I checked
I'd drifted a little in how I tangled it and so the inward twisting spiral
had disappeared.  (Here's an example on a similarly masked tile)
It's worthwhile going back to the step-outs from
time to time in case you've drifted and need to find your way home!
Or else just enjoy your drift and call it a tangleation!

Thank you for sharing my tangle-anniversary with me.  Thank you to those who have been with me since almost the very start, and thank you to those who've joined me through the years.  Thanks for your encouragement, inspiration, and company on this tangled journey.  Here's hoping there are many more tangled adventures in the years ahead!

6 comments:

  1. Oooooooh. . . HAPPY TANGLE-VERSARY Jem. Thanks for sharing your journey and all your wonderful inspriation with us on your blog. I'm a relative newbie to your blog, but glad I found you.

    HAPPY TANGLING.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn - I'm happy you found me too, newcomers are just as welcome as the old timers. I'm so pleased to be following you on your tangle journey too!

      Delete
  2. These tiles are wonderful! I really like your rendition of Drawings. You and I started about the same time, and ironically, with the same book. It opened up an exploring mind and I love experimenting. I haven't worked with Margaret's tiles yet, but may have to give that a try. I remember your early postings as Ragged Ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. I'm still Ragged Ray at heart, but Facebook insisted I used my real name hence the dual personality! The book is a great way to start for anyone not able to attend a class, and of course the online connections and resources help us to grow. I think you'll love the Relaxagons!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jem. I'm just reading some of your first blog posts and was wondering if you had done any drawing before you started with Zentangle? Judging from your very first tile, I would say that you had but maybe you were an artist and just didn't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. No, I'd done next to no art since school, 25 years previously, before I started Zentangle. I'd tried calligraphy and Japanese painting briefly but didn't get on with either. I took a fancy to Zentangle the first time I read about it - and it obviously suits me.

      Delete