Wednesday 17 October 2018

autumnal interweavings

My last post was word heavy, and I really appreciate all of you who took the time to wade through my extended musings as I led my Zigzangles out into the daylight for the first time.

This time I'll be brief and share a few tiles I've drawn in the last week.  Firstly this tan tile that inadvertently combined the two most recent Diva Challenges.

Diva #371 & #372 - Onion Drops & Dewd

Then a tile I didn't finish in time for Adele Bruno's challenge for last week.  The first time I tried to read Orwell's 1984 I couldn't connect with it.  I tried it again a handful of years later and it all made sense.  Sometimes it's just a case of the right book at the wrong time.  It's not a situation limited to books either - and I think Adele's Iza tangle has the 1984 effect on me.  I first played with it years ago - and liked how it looked, but this time I really connected, I felt the tangle as I drew it.  And I think that shows in the finished tile. 

IAST #264 - Iza and Heartswell - ink and graphite
on vintage printmaking paper that's as old as me!

And lastly a few Bijou.  I'm still keeping my pledge to make a Bijou for every It's a String Thing challenge I fail to make a full size tile for.  I noticed I'd missed one right at the start of the year, so that's why the first one uses an 18 as its string - we'll be doing a 19 before we know it!

IAST #224 / #259 / #262 - Bijou pastel paper tiles - ink, graphite, white pencil and pen

16 comments:

  1. I think your take on Dewd is soooo clever. Simple just works so well. I like the Bijous too, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. Sometimes simple looks clever and vice versa!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful tiles. I love your personal challenge with the bijous. Neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. It's really made me appreciate and enjoy working on the Bijou scale too.

      Delete
  3. As usual . . . some beautiful tangling to admire. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Onion drops, dewd, certainly nice tangles by themselves, but as the combo you drew them simply faaaantastic, Jem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. I felt that I was channeling your style a bit in my Iza's - but sometimes we all influence each other back and forth until origins disappear!

      Delete
  5. Lovely tiles both of them. Like the way you combined Onion Drops and Dewd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your "pace not race" idea. Very thoughtful. So often on a busy week, I say "I gotta get this challenge done!" Really not the point. I tried to slow down and take my time with the challenge today. Much more tranquil. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duchess. I'm glad you managed to slow down. It's something we all need reminding of regularly in a world that asks us all the time to speed up.

      Delete
  7. these are are lovely and inspiring Jem;-) I especially love the way you've drawn Dewd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. Some tangles I struggle to vary, but with others like Dewd I can't stop seeing knew ways to draw it.

      Delete