Thursday 6 September 2018

searching for neverland

Earlier this year The Diva did a wise thing. She recognised that she needed to take a break from creating and sharing her weekly challenges with us. And she not only recognised that need but she claimed it too. And she asked us to support her in this, as I'm sure we all have, much as we've missed her. She was also incredibly brave in telling us why she needed that break. Just because she's back we should assume she might never need to take a break again. Her return is a valuable reminder for us to listen to ourselves, listen for the sometimes quiet voice of our needs.  To ask and claim and sometimes demand what we require.

Sometimes the momentum of life keeps us moving on without giving us the chance to stop and take stock of where we are, where we come from and where we might be going.  Zentangle, and particularly this week's Back to Basics challenge, gives one way to take stock thanks to these little black and white snapshots.

Then

Just over five years ago, on the 18th June 2013, I drew my first ever Zentangle tile.  A square of postcard paper, a black fibre tip, a Woolworths pencil.  Since then I've learnt so much.  A wide array of different tangles and techniques.  My pen control has improved enormously. I've learnt to use highlights and shade safely even near thick black ink on those super soft tiles!  I've learnt the value and pleasure offered by superior materials.

I often share my very first tile with new tanglers, or people who are doubting their ability.  With regular mindful practice it's almost impossible not to improve, and having fun while doing so!

Now

Today I drew a tile - on beautiful Italian paper, with a juicy Pigma Micron pen, and my trusty old Woolworths HB pencil.  I started with four dots, a border, a string based on my initials and chop.  I used the same three tangles from that June day - Crescent Moon, Static and Tipple.  And it couldn't look more different.

And while I'm thrilled  and grateful at all the progress I've made there's a little bit of me that misses  the naivety of where I started from.  That giddy combination of not knowing what you're doing but loving it all the same.  The innocence of just putting marks on paper without a bulk of knowledge and ideas all trying to suggest themselves loudly in your ear.  But I'm not Peter Pan, I had to grow up, but maybe one day I'll come full circle and find my way back to Neverland. 

20 comments:

  1. Wow! It took me a few minutes to realize you used the same string! It’s impressive! I especially like the way you’ve scattered Tipple all over the place. So much movement and energy. And the first tile is not bad at all, for a first! Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Heidi I don't think I did intentionally use the same string. Perhaps it's just a way my pencil travels. Well spotted though! And thank you.

      Delete
  2. It's so much fun to go back and look at your first tiles. That first one is very nice. But the 2nd one is wonderful and shows how much you've learned over the years. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first tile is way better than my first tile . . . and you've progressed to superstar professional while I'm still an amateur. No matter. I love tangling regardless. It's all good!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn. As long as you love it that is really what matters the most! (and remember - you don't get to see all the dud tiles!)

      Delete
  4. Wow, great to see these! I really love what you did with Crescent Moon in the Now tile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilse! I was just playing on a scrap of paper and that idea appeared!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, Jem, just wonderful!❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comparisons such as these brings to light how much we really grow over the years. Some of us need challenges that make us go back in time (my hand is up!!!); you show here that we can challenge ourselves...anytime. Thanks, Jem, wonderful development of not only your drawing skill but design and art skills as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. I love seeing how people's technique and style develop. I often click on early blog posts to compare. And you can see where slowly but surely people grow.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post! It's such a beautiful revelation when we can reflect on our own journey to see how far we've come and hopefully remind ourselves not to compare with others.
    I love that Crescent Moon bit-it's my favorite Mac'n Cheese pattern so I love seeing all the variations I've yet to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. The broken lines in my Crescent Moon were initially thanks to a scratchy pen!

      Delete
  8. Wow, a fantastic tile!!! Good to be back here too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post and wonderful tiles! Nice to see the "then" and "now" tiles!
    I discovered Zentangle in May 2013 . It´s still a neverending love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette. To think, we found Zentangle only months apart! And yes, the love is neverending for me too!

      Delete
  10. Oh, so beautifully expressed! Thank you once again for capturing so poetically the beauty of tangling in both word and art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adele. And I really doubt this journey would have continued beyond that first summer without your encouragement and friendship through! Thank you my Floridian tangle-mentor!

      Delete