Wednesday 5 September 2018

opportunities lost and found

I've only sent a handful of tiles to dear Adele in time for her weekly It's a String Thing challenges.  A few I've finished but too late for the deadline and I've posted them here instead.  But the rest I've still managed to enjoy thanks to sticking to my year long pledge to make at least a Bijou if I don't have time for a full tile.  Although admittedly some of these were completed some time after the challenge!

These are real tests of economy and invention, how to fit the string, or occasionally only part of the thing onto a tiny tile.  How to bring in two or three tangles and make them play nicely.  How to get shading and highlight and sometimes colour harmoniously working in a two by two inch space.  Challenging,  but really rewarding too!

 
On quite a few of these tiles my tangling deviated quite some way from how the tangle is 'meant' to look - my D'rua insisting on becoming Antidots, and my Baraquillos is totally wrong but looks just as tasty!  But how much of life really turns out like it's meant to? At least in Zentangle you can still guarantee a happy ending!

A few of these were done on pastel paper - I find it works nicely for the limited space, allowing for simple highlights and shading to really stand out.  It was drawn a while ago but IAST #253 features a broken version of Printemps that I've drawn a few times.  It's a simple but incredibly versatile tangle as shown by Margaret Bremner in her hot-off-the-press post - Printemps, And Then Some.


And as always there were a couple of pleasant surprises.  I had a couple of tiles that I'd done some watercolour blobs onto and then discarded onto the pile.  I picked one for challenge #245 which was donut / doughnut themed!  It had a jammy look to it that I thought might work.  I didn't really like the string, or the tangle selection - and yet I really like the finished tile!  Isn't that strange!  And the same happened with challenge #255 - I played with Konk but didn't like it a great deal, but once I tangled it over some colour bursts I love it.  And some tweaking and shading made me see the appeal of Flog too!

I'm sure I'll miss a few more IAST challenges before the year is out, but there's always a ready supply of  tiny tiles in my little tin! 

Footnote
I've had a bit of a tidy up here, a new header banner, which I aim to change seasonally.  But most importantly I've tidied up all the different buttons to my tangles on my sidebar.  Instead they are all group together clickable via the single Ragged Ray's Tangles button.  Thanks to Susie Ng for her invaluable technical help!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh . . . I LOVE this selection of tangles . . . ESPECIALLY the watercolour blob one!

    One of my card making blog friends is currently "into" Artist Trading Coins (2.5" dia circles) . . . and we have been doing a monthly swap . . . so instead of stamping her one, I tangled her one . . . small is DEFINITELY challenging like you say!

    Keep up the good work . . . you are a FANTASTIC tangler.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn. I think I should trying blobbing more watercolour based on these results and the reactions they're getting!

      Oh yes, small circles - that would be fun - although I find trying to cut a neat circle almost impossible! It might be fun to draw a circle of tangling onto a small square tile though - thanks for that idea!

      Delete
  2. Great work on the tiny tiles, but your Konk tile is the showstopper on this page! I really dig your idea to work on tiny tiles and I followed you for a while. Why on earth did I ever stop? Thanks, Jem, for the kick in the you-know-what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. Yes, you should do them again - the are great ways to test out just a taste of something while still being beautiful and complete in themselves.

      Delete