Monday 10 November 2014

waste not, want not

This week's guest Diva challenge invited us to draw a tritangle while contemplating the notion of thanks.

A while ago I cut a few tiles out of some card mailing envelopes that my second-hand books had arrived in. Today seemed a good day to use one.  I like using fine papers, but there is something appealing about using what would otherwise head to the recycling bin too!  I like reading new books, those crisp pages, and unbroken spine.  But there's appeal in the old yellow ones too - thinking of all those hands they have passed through.

Muted pleasures - Trio, Huggins and XYP
- coloured with dry Inktense pencil

While I tangled I thought about some of the things that made me thankful in that moment.  These pens I was using to create line and the pencils to add colour.  The bones and muscles that facilitated the movement that turned my ideas into something tanglible.  The light (as dim as it was on this rainy November day) that lit me as I drew.  The square of card that was receiving the ink.  The envelope that travelled to me delivering a book I will enjoy reading, gaining pleasurable or education or both.  And the tree that grew to eventually form both the book and the envelope and the tile.  It's all quite incredible when you start to think of it like that!
 

20 comments:

  1. It sounds like you were truly in the "Zen" zone as you created this lovely and warm looking tile, Ray. I love old books too for the same reason (and, they're usually less expensive!). But, I never thought of cutting down the packaging. Great idea. Thanks for sharing that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your tile, it's nicely balanced I think. And your coloring is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tile and your commentary - such warm colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully written and shared...

    Your tile is warm and exudes thanks... just like your prose... I love your take on the challenge! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tile. I like the colors also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Tile. I love your use of the Patterns in this challenge, especially the Trio Pattern. Well done, very clean design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of colour, both of paper and pencils. Love the swirling movement in the design

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, I like the ribbons of Xyp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very satisfying - words, concept and your tangles! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tile. Thank you for sharing the things that gave you gratitude and inspiration while creating your tile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I love recycling, and your tile out of an envelop looks great, looks to me like a present wrapped with a XYP ribbon, and a trio bow on top. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post with awesome thoughts!!! It goes to show, there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for!!! Your tile is so pretty with all it's warmness!!!
    I have to say, I am guilty of seeing everything as something I can use for some kind of project! Reuse and recycle,...... love it!!
    :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea, using old envelopes. Great use of the three tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really love the flow of your trio flourishes! Beautifully done on that recycled paper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post on gratitude and what a lovely warm tile from the envelopes. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice tile - love how you have integrated the three patterns and the subtle colour is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tile. I like the color color combination.

    ReplyDelete