Thursday 21 November 2019

the legacy of a leaf

With just over a month left in this year I find myself tangling less. There's limited daylight to tangle by and I often have one eye on Christmas planning.  I'm spending less time with pen and tile, but that makes tangle time feel all the more precious.

'Nzeppel fills a band of Shattuck and a section of Spoken.
I worked on Strathmore tan toned tiles, trimmed to regular size.

I remember meeting 'Nzeppel - how my first use of it coincided with my first experience of using an official Zentangle tile. And of how it reminded me of fishnet stockings! I don't use it often, and when I do it's usually just a small fragment of Crazy 'Nzeppel.  But I was interested to see how the tangle would fare in the full glare of the spotlight. (While you're at it be sure to check out some of the wonderful ways Margaret Bremner uses this tangle!)

A mostly regular 'Nzeppel fills a Bales string.
No highlights but gently built up shading (using a 4B pencil)
makes Bales rise from the tile.

I used other tangles as if they were strings, and then filled only with 'Nzeppel.  It's a relaxing and forgiving tangle that really comes into its own once you add simple shading.  I considered adding white highlights all over the tiles, but in the end just stuck with a tiny pop of brightness on those two graphite gems.

'Nzeppel fills an Aquafleur - and two thin 'Nzeppel ribbons
add a finishing touch.  A grey gem adds a little shine.

I'd been toying with the idea of trying something different with 'Nzeppel for a few months and I'd imagined tangling these tiles during my Winter Inklings (I pictured fracture ice and frost patterns).  But then I reached for three tan tiles, and noticed how they grew to resemble the dried leaves of late autumn. All colour mostly faded, leaving behind only the skeletons of who those leaves once were.

10 comments:

  1. I wanted to say fishnets and then thought it was an inappropriate comment..now I can say it...FISHNETS!! But you wear them so well that it makes them classy :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always welcome to say fishnets here - hosiery is never off limits! ;)

      Delete
  2. NICE Correlation between the Tiles and the Leaves of Fall. <3 I adore hearing of how Tanglers' minds work when ideas Spring forth. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. I enjoy sharing my thought processes as well as my tiles, and I'm pleased you like hearing them!

      Delete
  3. My favourite is the aquafleur version. So stunning coupled with the gemstone !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. I was thinking that graphite gems are the only gems I truly enjoy drawing - as I don't get bogged down with choosing and blending colour!

      Delete
  4. It feels like every tangle you pick gets an elevated station in the way you speak of it, or rather write about it. And of course then progress to actually use them. I love your blog posts. Usually I am too speechless to comment. But every now and then I get my word prowess back and I can... It is an absolute pleasure to have had your acquaintance to learn such diversity about something so simple yet made exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such kind words ST. I like to spend time making the best of every tangle I work with. After all, effort goes into finding and deconstructing and stepping out tangles, so I feel it's only fair to respect them in return.

      Delete
  5. The straight band of Shattuck against your Spoken united by not only 'Nzeppel but the shaped curves within. Superb combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evy - it was the simplest of the three tiles, but my favourite for that I think.

      Delete