Wednesday 25 September 2019

step into my parlour

It's been almost 5 months since my last confession - since I last showed you my inner workings, the jottings and explorations that fill my sketchbook.

As I browse online any new tangles I spot, or old tangles I'm reminded of, get doodled about with on the torn off papers from my page-a-day desk calendar.  Roughly once a week I have a session where any of those tangles that I like I play with further in my sketchbook.  I might copy the tangle faithfully and then try variations.  I might see how two tangles work together.

My sketchbook then becomes the resource for any tiles or pieces I'm working on.  Often I use recent pages for inspiration, but sometimes I go back, pull out an old sketchbook and rediscover treasures I've long forgotten.  For my recent Relaxagon Paradox tiles I dusted off a page of Paradox variations from 2015! 

Points of interest -
There are tangles here that I've used a lot - Sitiko, Saatin and Blind Membranart
And those that have only had one outing so far - Line Dance and  S-Vine
And those that haven't yet made it to a tile but will when the time is right - the (missed named by me) Oritigol

Points of interest -
A trio of Padrós tangles on this page - often challenging, always rewarding - Tissoooh, All Stars and Taiga
Revisiting Dreamdex - which I struggled with on first meeting but am warming to now
Checkmate and Salo - both proving that simple tangles can be just as charming as complex ones

Points of interest -
New discoveries - Matuvu and Windmill - both of which I love
Spotting harmonious tangle pairings - Seespan and Squirk
Playing with the Ogee shape with nothing else in mind (bottom left)
Points of interest -
The aptly autumnal Gelijoy and Ada which was the star of a recent IAST show
Kaas and RunCC - two wonderful grid type tangles
Skyview which takes much concentration and Violetka which doesn't

Working in my sketchbook is an invaluable part of my Zentangle practice - if you'd never tried it I'd encourage you to give it a go - you might be pleasantly surprised with where it leads you.  And even if you don't fancy that, hopefully there are plenty of tangles here to take your fancy - I wish I could link to them all but that would eat up too much tangle time!

9 comments:

  1. I so appreciate all the work you do on here. Thank you. Love everything ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne - such kind words. I love sharing what I do with people and it's wonderful to know they get something out of it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I really love this post! I spent a few minutes going through each of the pages you shared, and I am completely smitten!! Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. When I first started sharing my sketchbook pages it was really scary - as it's not polished work, but then I realised how much I love nosing at other people's sketchbooks, so it only seemed fair!

      Delete
    2. I adore these, even more so because they are un-rehearsed. I wish I could have your confidence, if not your talent! Sending you a lot of hugs from here xx

      Delete
    3. You already have equal to, if not greater talent. Confidence... well, that will come, even if I have to drag it out of you! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love looking at your "notes" and try outs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarn! Certainly a change in our weather since I last posted - I think it's official, summer is over!

      Delete
    2. You got THAT right! Still . . . lots to look forward to in Autumn. xxx

      Delete