Thursday 15 November 2018

four quarters of an overcast Thursday

I've always found wisdom in unexpected places.  Fiction guides me more than faith, poetry soothes more than prayer.  And when I'm tangling and truly absorbed in the process so many little lessons slip out from between those seemingly meaningless lines of black ink.  I don't need to hang on every word of the gospel according to Rick and Maria, as eloquent and entertaining as they often are.  I just need to embrace this thing they created and within it I might find whatever I need at that moment.

Tangles used - Flux, Ynix, Opus and Mooka

I haven't tangled much of late.  I'm stuck in one of the gristly bits of life, and it's taking most of my time and energy and focus to chew my way through.  I'll get there, but not just yet.  My tangle-hand feels rusty, my lines are a little more wobbly than usual.  I'm a bit jittery, distracted.  But a window of time opened today and I wanted to make the most of it.  Rather than getting lost in the choice of which project to resume I reached for this week's Diva Challenge - where she invites us to make a mosaic from 4 tiles.  I knew I wouldn't have time to make 4 full sized tiles, so I reach for Bijous.  I then (somewhat stupidly) decided it would be easier to cut my tiles and switch parts, rather than drawing strings.  The resulting pieces didn't fit together that well, the sections didn't line up smoothly and I didn't feel that hopeful.   I almost abandoned it altogether.

I added a black border at the scanning / adjustment stage
to hide the ragged edges, I may be the Ragged Ray but there are limits!

But then I started tangling... adding just 4 original tangles, some perfs, ink, graphite and white pencil.  The imperfections slowly started to fade (they're still there, but only if you choose to notice them).  Each tile has its own personality, its tangle, its quirks.  Each little tile looks good on its own, but stands stronger as part of the whole.  With patience, effort and compromise something apparently hopeless stands a chance.  All of which is true for life, as it is for my tiles.  Wisdom enough for one week I think!

28 comments:

  1. What an awesome mosaic. Glad you stuck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. It was touch and go, but I'm glad I did too!

      Delete
  2. Just WOW! Adore your works and words. I was secretly hoping for a BE BOLD. ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. Don't worry. There's a little stack of Be Bolds accumulating and I'm sure a few have your name on them!

      Delete
  3. The brown and white half moons beneath the tangled arches are intruiging and dramatic. Darkness and light, lifes puzzles and solutions are mirrored through the sturdy tangled door. Strength, stability and creativity meet up through all four. Thank you for sharing your valuable journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely description. It's true, there's so much truth there if you spot it.

      Delete
  4. Glad you came back to the tangle alter. I know that when I get immersed in a tile that things seem to work themselves out, too. I'm always thankful to have that "tool" when life gets crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duchess. So true. Zentangle is the best medicine and therapy all rolled into one.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful brown - white mosaic and great tangling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done... Sometimes we just have to push through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. Yes, it takes effort but worth it.

      Delete
  7. Beautifully done! I don't see any imperfections, just a lovely mosaic. Love the different colored tiles also--very dramatic and soft at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. Yes, I like the colour combination. I want to use it again when I've more time, probably in a large size too.

      Delete
  8. Wow, such a beautiful mosaic and wise words spoken. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Glad you liked both the words and the pictures.

      Delete
  9. A wonderful mosaik! Not only life sometimes shows that perfection is not necessary to solve a problem in an elegant way. One can see the effect by drawing or painting again and again. Your mosaic is very elegant and beautiful, the overall effect is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Malerisches. It's true what you say. Perfection is not the answer to everything!

      Delete
  10. I like your choice of patterns. They are all going straight in a distinct direction. The second mosaic where they all go to the center has most harmony to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathariana. The two mosaics look quite different despite using the same tiles. I think I prefer the second one too!

      Delete
  11. Great choice of patterns and I love that you mixed tan and white tiles to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. I think I'll revisit that tile combination as I liked how it turned out.

      Delete
  12. Wow! I love how you pieced together your mosaics. The results are fantastic and your words really hit the mark. Well done;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. Glad you like the mosaic, but I think the process and discoveries were the real success for me this week.

      Delete
  13. Each little tile has it's own unique personality . . . like everyone's life! Keep on keeping on . . . I hope you feel better soon. Today's weather sure isn't helping is it? Cold, wet & dreary on the South Coast with some delightful hail predicted for later! Hmmm!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Sarn. I'm feeling a little more inspired and able this week. Now the only problem is finding enough decent daylight to tangle by! Damp waves from me to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out so cool! I love the color scheme, such a pretty shade of brown, and the organic autumnal seeds and leaves...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi. Yes, I'm still embracing the autumn look as it helps me deny the approach of winter!

      Delete