Wednesday 14 March 2018

bathing in the purple rain

Particulars - fountain pen loaded with Diamine Damson ink,
black pigment pen, coloured pencil, graphite
 On Monday 12th the Google doodle commemorated the birthday of William Henry Perkin - who stumbled across a consistent purple dye while working to better understand quinine.  I've always been fascinated by these unintended scientific discoveries, and I've long had a soft spot for purple too.  So in the spirit of Perkin, this week I worked on a couple of challenges using purple ink.  I also tried to channel the spirit of wild experimentation - trying new things, not planning, just following instinct.

Joey gave us a ribbon and a pinch of Poke Leaf to start with, then invited us to finish her tile.  The Pokes are a lot like Mooka to me.  I love the way they can look in others hands, but struggle to find one of my own that I like.  But I stuck with Mooka, trying it many different ways and I have a couple of variations that I now draw and am happy with.  The Pokes took longer - but I think this week I may have found an approach to Pokeleaf that I like - adding a few auras on each side - it seems to give it a bit of bulk which I prefer.   The finished tile reminds me of something quite old and elegant - possibly the cover of a Victorian lady's journal, perhaps one where she notes the changes in her cottage garden.

Particulars - watercolour tile with two green brush pen lines.
  Purple Copic SP pen.  Coloured pencil, graphite.
I switched to a more controllable pen for my contribution to the Diva's Challenge - this week featuring one of my favourite tangles, Verve.  I thought it would be fun to let the tangle break free, hence the twists and points and bumps it's showing here.  There really seem to be endless variations to those winding auras.  I could have happily filled the entire tile but thought a bit of breathing space would be welcome.  It looks quite lively, like a mutant species is spreading and taking over.

I like the way that although the materials I used differed between my two tiles, the colours were similar which gives a pleasing sense of harmony.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely work! Especially since purple is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous and inspiring work once again;-) Purple is my favorite color and I'm fond of quinine (with a dash of gin from time to time). Thanks for this little tidbit of science trivia. Pokeroot is one of my Mac 'n cheese patterns and I love how you gave the leaves a couple of layers of "hugs". As always, thank you for another inspiring post;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I just loved both tiles and purple isn't my favourite colour. (Well, not this week, I tend to be a bit fickle about it.) I really like the way you used different techniques to end them, Ad I;m going to try your Pokeleaf idea - I never get them how I want them. So thank you for the idea, M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both of your purple tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work in elegant colouring! The first tile looks like an art nouveau jewel, old fashioned but modern too. I like your interpretation of Pokeleaf very much. And your Verve is unique. Maybe some birds are looking out of the tile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the purple theme! Your Joey tile is super gorgeous!! It has a lots of drama, which is a little unexpected with the lighter/pastel purple. Great interpretation of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love your purple tiles, but the Verve tile... OUTSTANDING!!!! On your Joey tile I like the way you drew Pokeleaf and that you took the pokeleaf 'theme' to the ribbon. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tiles with the purple colour! Especially I like your beautiful tile with Verve! You show so creative variations of Verve here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, graceful tiles. Love the purple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the purple - it makes a super tile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw this on Pinterest and have to come over to investigate your art further. Fantastic tangling. Have been reading some of your previous posts. VERY inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete