Tuesday 15 November 2016

a woven window

Laura the Diva and I are worlds apart - in terms of geography and life and many other things I'm sure.  While she might find cheer in Earth, Wind and Fire, I find comfort in polishing small poems about the moon.  But what unites us is this thing we do, this place we come to - these little tiles of paper that welcome us.  Her challenge this week - to use Keeko - was perfect.

I grabbed a tile from the Leftovers pile.  I coloured this one a long, long time ago.  Back when I always used a string.  Back when I left one deckle edge uncut on my tiles.  Back when I didn't have quite so many colours to choose from.  And I dived straight it. 

Knowing Keeko so well - because it's so simple, not because I use it often - meant I didn't have to look up the step out.  I used other tangles that I knew from memory too - those beloved basics like Crescent Moon and Fescu.  It was a delight to get lost in the tangling, the shading.  The feel of pen on paper.  The no up nor down but somehow a pleasing symmetry arises.  Sometimes that's the best we can hope for. 


Whether it's the act of drawing that loosens up my writing brain or the images themselves I often find forgotten memories returning to me when I tangle.  Today, clearly provoked by my tile, I recall that when I was a child my mother had a small collection of corn dollies that hung on the wall above the kitchen window.  In ancient times these were hollow shapes woven from the last ear of corn harvested.  The spirit of the corn would spend winter within them before the dolly was ploughed back into the earth in spring.  As the days grow shorter I might just put this tile in a frame to see us all through winter.

11 comments:

  1. Your tile is beautiful. I especially like how you did your Keeko with the little black spaces in the corner. It really gives it a lovely basketweave effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your tile! Such texture and depth. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tile with great depth!😄👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful artwork and a lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see where you started from and how you wound up with such a nice tile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful texture in this lovely tile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful Jem! It makes me think of coffee;-) I do love the whole composition because it's somehow very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just fabulous tile! I like the colour, the depth and the contrast! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your use of color as your string, the browns are very pleasing, especially during this Autumn season. :D

    ReplyDelete