Wednesday 10 September 2014

in the arms of the angles

With added Knight's Bridge and Onamato-ish orbs
When a new official tangle was released last week it was only to be expected that it would feature in the following week's Diva Challenge!  And so I spent time playing and thereby practicing Ing.  And what a joy it is.  Boundless scope for variation - I know I've merely scratched the surface of its potential.  I even find myself thinking about it at times when I'm not near pen and paper!

Some new tangles seem to encourage me to play with them using multiple lines - somehow this helps me feel the shape of them, get to know how they move and work, and thereby draw them again and again by feeling the tangle as opposed to thinking of how to draw it.  So that's where I started with Ing - as can be seen in these two tiles.

Perhaps not my most elegant tile but somehow quite amusing!
The first features the curvy version, which gives it a more ribbon like effect.  I filled the back panels (as I like to think of those last sections you draw) with different tangles to break away from the planty look that was developing.  Having done the three Ings I wondered about adding more to the tile but thought it was time to stop.

On the next tile I did three vertical straight edged Ing.  They look so architectural and sharp - metallic but also wooden, and also icy.  I wrapped an odd tube thing round them with a few tangle-tendrils coming from the ends.  And I though I'd leave it there - but it felt a bit lacking - so some Msst from above and a few shiny stones below and a bit more balance was achieved.

It's hard to believe that pen and pencil on paper can convey such solidity and such movement - but they do.  I know I won't be the only one Ing-ing for quite some time!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful handiwork. I'm a fan of white space, so I especially like your first tile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how ribbony the first one is, and you did capture the architectural aspect of ING, but it looks like an ancient ruin on an alien planet or something, with the organic stuff all around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both tiles are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tiles. The first one shows the true beauty of ING and the second is so much fun with the tube-like thing you have drawn. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the rounding of the corners in the first tile for a more flowing look. In the second It is more whimsical and makes me think of something that would be in a Dr. Seuss book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like both tiles. The first one is very flowy and you were right, I think, to stop there. The ribbon speaks for itself. The second tangle is very whimsical, I kind of think of Horton hears a Who for some reason. Love the trumpety th-ING you did. I think a lot of folks will be play-ING and manipulat-ING this tangle for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I was posting my comment I happened to read Donald Wilka's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're tiles are both beautiful, the first one being stylish and the second one funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are beautiful but the second is my favorite. It's so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your "Feeling the Tangle" approach really works. Both of you Tiles are exceptional. Love the clean design of the first Tile, and the super fun design of the second. Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These tiles are so happy! I love the fun of the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your three horns singing!! Don't you just love this tangle!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful tiles !
    I love the flow you created in the ING in the first tile.
    I love the underwater feel to the second tile, and I especially love the horns in both sides ("horns" as in the end of a trumpet :) )

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete